Although most organizations have invested substantially in digital transformation over the past several years, few have succeeded in generating the kind of meaningful or measurable change they’d initially set out to achieve. According to current research, a key reason many companies fall short of their digital objectives is that they don’t have a way to effectively incorporate new technologies into their day-to-day workflows and operations. In the 2018 Digital Transformation Report by PointSource, for example, some 25 percent of respondents said they plan to invest over a quarter of their upcoming IT budgets in digital capabilities like AI and IoT, yet over half said they feel unprepared to use these new technologies effectively.
What many organizations don’t realize, however, is that with today’s more advanced enterprise mobile solutions, the key to optimizing digital technologies may be right in the palm of their hands.
The fact is we’ve entered a new era of enterprise mobility, where solutions are not only enabling better team communications and connectivity, they’re also providing a foundation to integrate and optimize transformative technologies across core business processes and practices. Mobile provides a powerful point of convergence for diverse technologies such as cloud, AI, data analytics, location tracking and IoT to work together to empower employees in new ways with next-gen tools and capabilities that directly support mission-critical workflows and line-of-business objectives.
Mobile also enables another critical component of digital transformation—data mobilization. At a time when an unprecedented volume of data—some 2.5 quintillion bytes of data, to be exact—is being generated every day, the demand for more effective and reliable data-driven solutions is greater than ever. Enterprise mobile solutions can help ensure that the right data is readily available to the right people in your organization, when and where they need it, to enhance customer experiences, improve workforce productivity and even fuel innovation. And, in today’s era of increasing cybercrime, the right mobile solution can also provide critical security protections to help guard against potential data threats and breaches.
Higher stakes require higher solution standards
Since enterprise mobility plays such a key role in optimizing other transformative technologies, it’s critical to make sure you have the right solution in place. The following questions and considerations can help you determine which enterprise mobile solution will provide the best foundation for your organization’s digital transformation success.
What are your primary information workflow needs and challenges? Consider:
- How are your mobile workers communicate within each unit, across departments and across locations?
- Are your workers experiencing delays in getting the information they need from other team members?
- Are they able to reach and effectively communicate with the right staff member to resolve a specific issue or need?
- Are managers able to effectively manage team schedules or re-appropriate resources based on real-time needs?
- Are your workers using personal smartphones to send unsecured text messages within or outside the building?
- Are they experiencing service errors or miscommunications due to a lack of integration across multiple onsite and online customer portals?
Do you have specific mobile device requirements? Consider:
- What specific features, applications and functionality are needed to support and enhance different users and workflows across your various work environments?
- How can you minimize IT support and management complexities, including shift changes, battery and device maintenance, monitoring devices and updates, and compliance requirements?
What are the infrastructure requirements and ramifications involved in deploying a specific mobile solution? Consider:
- What kind of system integration and data access is needed to support and enhance workflows to maximize workforce efficiency/productivity?
- Are there any potential barriers to integration with key systems, such as EHR, POS or legacy communication systems?
- Are you able to consolidate siloed networks and systems to streamline and prioritize information access and alerts for users?
- Can your existing network support new mobile capabilities, including secure Wi-Fi access, geotracking capabilities, etc.?
Putting your digital transformation goals in motion
Moving the needle on your digital transformation goals and success won’t happen overnight, of course, even with the most advanced enterprise mobile solution. You need to ensure that you’re mobilizing the right technologies in the right ways across your enterprise.
The following steps can help put you on the fast-track to the results you want and expect:
- Define your specific goals: Digital transformation is a means to an end, not the end in itself. You need to identify the specific strategic goals you wish to accomplish so you can determine which transformative technologies to pursue—and how to prioritize them.
- Map out a clear progression path: Determine where and when it makes most sense to deploy new technologies based on the need, potential complexity and impact on your business and customers. Consider experimenting on a less impactful area where there’s a higher tolerance for experimentation and look for quick-win opportunities to garner support and enthusiasm for these technologies along the way.
- Continuously monitor and measure: Transformation isn’t a one-and-done effort. You’ll want to constantly track progress and potential gains or setbacks to improve and refine strategies as you go and set a baseline with clear, relevant metrics while making sure to articulate how these specific outcomes align with your business goals.
Mobilizing digital transformation can help you move your enterprise forward faster by putting today’s most powerful digital technologies and resources to work in practical, meaningful ways across your organization. But choosing the right mobile solution is key to success. So take the time to consider your specific needs, goals and priorities to ensure you have the right foundation to empower this new era of innovative, growth and opportunity for your enterprise.
- How the Versity Smartphone Helps Protect Nurse Safety - July 9, 2020
- Strategies to Improve Healthcare Outcomes and Maximize Your Tech Investments - June 17, 2020
- How Clinical Mobility Helps Improve Patient Outcomes - June 10, 2020